Hi,

I'm trying to understand how ebuild dependencies work
in gentoo. If I type:

emerge -vpu --deep --tree kde-base/kdebase

I see the package x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-2.12.1
at one of the roots of the tree. The kdebase version
is 3.5.1-r3. Firstly how can anything other than
kde-base/kdebase be at the root of the tree? Surely
with this command everything installed or upgraded
must either directly or indirectly depend on
kde-base/kdebase? Assuming that
x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme must be a direct dependent
of kde-base/kdebase I still cannot see any references
to gnome-icon-theme in
/usr/portage/kde-base/kdebase/kdebase-3.5.1-r3.ebuild.
I have tried adding the -e switch to emerge but
x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme still appears at a root of
the tree?

Can anybody explain or refer to an explanation of how
dependencies work in Gentoo?

Dan