...SKIP...
> > Michael Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> > > 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> > >         Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Unknown device 1b13
> > >         Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel, IRQ 10
> > >         BIST result: 00
> > >         Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
> > >         Memory at e1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
> > >         I/O ports at d000 [size=128]
> > >         Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> > >         Capabilities: [50] AGP version 3.0
> > >

> > > But how can I tell what driver I need from this output?
> > >

> I've done the X -configure thing - that's how catherine got her
> xorg.conf file.  I don't know anything about hardware, so I only tweaked
> the file a little so that catherine would have support for her scroll
> mouse...

Hi,
Have you enabled SiS chipset support in your kernel config?
If not, do it (better as a module) as you'll be able to see if it's
loaded.
Afterward you should change xorg.conf to enable it, but i don't know how
(not using SiS video).
Another way is to try out Xorg-7.0 (just unmasked and in testing), there
must be some package for SiS-support (see below):
* x11-drivers/xf86-video-sis
     Available versions:  0.8.1.3
     Installed:           none
     Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/