On Monday 27 March 2006 18:11, "b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] USB sync/async mount':
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > Check out the flash players from iRiver.  They play ogg, mp3, and wav,
> > and with the proper firmware are accessible as a USB device.
>
> Thanks! I have a mp3/wmv only flash player I received as a gift but I'd
> like to upgrade it with a 1-gb thing ogg-capable, if possible.
> I'll look at iRiver.

I'm very happy with my iRiver 799-FP (1G).

> > Also, files can be deleted and loaded from linux even with the stock
> > firmware.
>
> I'm a bit confused.
> Is the flash player recognized as a simple usb flash drive or what?

The stock firmware does not show up as a USB block device under either
Windows or Linux.  There is an official USB firmware that you can download
and install that makes it act like a standard USB block device under both
operating systems.  This has the side effect of rendering the
(Windows-only) software they provide for managing the device unusable, but
you don't really need it anymore since it's just DnD to load and unload
the thing.

They don't really publicize the USB firmware; in fact, I had to download it
from a non-US site.  I think it might has something to do with the
draconian US copyright laws or pressure from the RIAA, but I don't really
know.

Personally, I ended up installing a modified firmware that extends the
range of OGG playback and voice recording bitrates.  It's a modified
version of the USB firmware, so I got access to the device as a USB block
device for free.

Going back to the stock firmware -- there's a linux utility that provides
command-line features roughly equivalent to the (Windows-only) software
they provide to manipulate the device.  So, you'll be able to load/delete
files from Linux and Windows no matter what firmware you are using.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest