On Monday 27 March 2006 17:48, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about '[gentoo-user] modular Xorg made it to ~x86':
> I noticed after a sync a few nights ago, that modular xorg is in ~x86.
> I also noticed a few people here have installed a while ago already.
>
> so, can I just go ahead with it?  I need a functional X on this box, but
> I'm happy to put up with a few quirks.  What are the gotcha's?

For me there were a crapload of packages to unmask, I'm betting that won't
be an issue for you. :)

Unless they've changed something you do have to unmerge 6.8 before starting
to merge 7, so for a bit you might have issues starting new x11 programs,
but I was able to do the entire changeover from within X, with kaffeine,
kmail and a dozen other X applications running.  I simply restarted X
after I was done.

Just make sure you read the official migration guide and the one on the
wiki before you start and have them available while you are doing the
upgrade.

*goes to remove xorg 7 from his package.unmask*

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest