THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Jerry McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ..
>> The localhost is not a service.... it's an ip.
>>
>> Jerry
> ..
>
> Jerry, I'm not understanding the signicance of that.

You used a wrong term. That's all.

>  Ping is
> resolving localhost to the ip, yes?

Well, no. ping is sending icmp packages. And it'll also
resolve hostnames. But that's not the main purpose of
ping. For resolving hostnames, there's host or nslookup.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ telnet localhost
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1
> Trying 127.0.0.1...

Fine. Do you have a telnet server running?

Alexander Skwar
--
BOFH Excuse #451:

astropneumatic oscillations in the water-cooling