On 29 March 2006 18:12, Schleimer, Ben wrote:
> > Isn't the solution to have  3  levels: 'testing',
> > 'probation' & 'stable' ?
> > 'Testing' would be literally that, asking for
> > feedback from users;
> > 'probation' wb already tested for a defined period
> > -- say  30 days  --
>
> How about a crazier idea:
>
> Each package has a stability rating from 0-99 per
> architecture.
> 0 means totally untested/unstable and 99 means rock
> solid/no bugs. (0-33~unstable, 34-66~testing,
> 67-99~stable)
> Each new package starts at 50. Whenever a user uses
> the package, he can then vote on it by giving +1 or -1
> (on the website or through portage).

Indeed, a crazy idea. Technical issues like stability, which technology to
use, how to implement a certain functionality, whether a bug is fixed,... can
not be subject to voting. Period. Someone actually has to look into the
matter and decide on technical merits.

Otherwise we should start a similar voting system on weather. 0 means abosulte
crap weather, 99 means weather to sire heroes. 0-33: cold, windy, rainy.
34-66: so lala. 65-99: good weather. Each day start with 50 points at 00:00
sharp. Then the voting kicks in and we can all witness how the sun brightens
over time. Except if you live in Namibia with all those farmers voting for
rain. ;-)

Uwe

--
Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?