Teresa and Dale schreef> Nagatoro wrote:

>> Why don't upgrade? As far as I know upgrading gcc isn't a big deal.
>>  It was just the 3.3.x -> 3.4.x that was due to that the api for
>> c++ had changed.
>
> Oh, I thought it was a big deal.  That's why I was wanting to wait.
> Funny thing is, it don't want to upgrade now so maybe it had a bug
> and they set it back again or something, or I just missed it and
> upgraded anyway.  ;-)

(other) Funny thing is, last I heard, you were planning to mask the
"upgrade" versions of GCC. If you did that, of /course/ you are no
longer offered upgrades, since that's the point of masking (to mark a
package as "unavailable to be installed on this computer").

gcc-3.4.5-r1 is the most recent stable; current unstable (~x86) is
3.4.6, 4.0 is masked (hard-masked), so you wouldn't see it anyway.

So I'm guessing you are running stable only, and masked the most recent
stable version explicitly (3.4.5-r1)? If you masked only that version in
/etc/portage/package.mask, like so

=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1

you won't see an offer to update until 3.4.6 goes stable; if you masked
all versions above your current version, as in

| > =sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1

you won't see an offer to update ever, until you adjust the mask.
Although when 4.0 makes it into the tree, it might use a different slot,
so that might make you an offer.

But as far as I know, 3.4.5-r1 is still alive and kicking in the tree.

Holly