On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 02:26:57 +0300, Alexander Kirillov wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I needed to restart sendmail more than once after upgrade
> and noticed the script always produces these warnings:
>
> # /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
>   * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
>   * Stopping sendmail ... [ok]
>   * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
>   * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
>   * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
>   * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
>   * Starting sendmail ... [ok]
>
> What might be wrong here?
>
> TIA,
> Sasha

I have seen this too recently with samba, vmware, ntpd, privoxy and others
(but not always) during both startup and shutdown sequences. I think something
has changed in the init scripts. Everything seems to work OK and there is
nothing in the logs indicating anything wrong.

Example:

mars peter # /etc/init.d/privoxy stop
 * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
 * Stopping privoxy ...                                                   [ ok ]
mars peter # /etc/init.d/privoxy start
 * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
 * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
 * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
 * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
 * Starting privoxy ...                                                   [ ok ]

Not sure what's being cached or recached. Makes no sense to me.
Ideas?

--
Peter