Hi,

does anybody use ifplugd successfully?

Assume a cable is inserted. Then i perform the following commands:

- ifconfig eth0 up
- mii-tool eth0 => works, shows infos about the link
- ifconfig eth0 down
- mii-tool eth0 => shows "no-link" even though cable is inserted!

The problem:

So assume i unplug the cable. ifplugd calls "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop"
and the interface goes down (same as ifconfig eth0 down above)
Now ifplugd polls the interface and waits until the a cable is inserted,
but this will never be detected, because mii-tool always reports "no-link".

So i assume that ifplugd was written to detect the when the cable is
reinserted - but in my case, it can't.

Is that a proper behaviour? I mean: is mii-tool supposed to report the
link infos when a cable is inserted and the interface is down?
I may have found a bug in the network-driver (bcm4400).

Can you perform those three steps with your network card?
- ifconfig eth0 up
- ifconfig eth0 down
- mii-tool eth0

What does the mii-tool report?