Le mercredi 05 avril 2006 à 12:07 +0200, Frédéric Grosshans a écrit :
> Le mercredi 05 avril 2006 à 11:21 +0930, Iain Buchanan a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 20:18 -0500, Roy Wright wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if there was a nice command for making disk access nice
> > so I could nicely say `nice emerge -uD world` and it wouldn't take a
> > whole lot of disk time away from my nice browsing, music playing, etc...
>
> I think /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/ioprio.txt is your friend.
> (I'll read it when (if?) I'll have the time, so I can't sum it up for
> you !)

OK, I've read it.
If you configure the CFQ-IOscheduler in your kernel, you can write an
ionice tool (source code given) which is like nice, but for the disk.
Furthermore, there exist a IOPRIO_CLASS_IDLE priority class which is
exactly what we are looking for (no disk access if any other process
wants a disk access).

Is there a plan to use those IOPRIO classes in Portage ? It could be
very useful for laptops (with very slow disks).

BTW, is there a plan to use the new SCHED_BATCH scheduling policy
introduced in the last (2.6.16) kernel ? (see
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=b0a9499c3dd50d333e2aedb7e894873c58da3785
 )

        Fred