Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng <at> wdc.com> writes:

> Has anyone in this list been able to successfully integrate Win32codecs
> into VLC and hence be able to play Quicktime/rmvb files?

> It is said that some Debian Sid people has managed to integrate it into
> their custom compilation. If anyone knows anything, would appreciate
> some heads up.

media-video/vlc-0.8.4a-r1  -3dfx +X +a52 +aac +aalib +alsa (-altivec) +arts
-avahi +bidi +cdda -cddb -corba -daap -debug +dts +dvb +dvd +esd -fbcon +ffmpeg
+flac -ggi +gnutls +hal +httpd -joystick -libcaca +lirc -live +matroska -mod
+mp3 +mpeg +ncurses +nls -nsplugin +ogg +opengl +oss +png -rtsp +samba -screen
+sdl -shout -skins -speex +stream -svg +svga +theora +truetype +v4l +vcd +vlm
+vorbis +win32codecs +wxwindows -xinerama +xml -xosd +xv 0 kB

If you have a specific file you want me to test with VLC, put it on the net,
or send it to me.

I've not messed around with VLC a whole lot (I'm mostly into H.264) and DVD
movies, so send me explicit instructions what you want tested.

/etc/portage/package.use:
media-video/vlc         -nsplugin dvd ffmpeg mpeg mad wxwindows aac dts a52 ogg
flac theora oggvorbis matroska freetype bidi xv svga gnutls stream vlm httpd
cdda vcd cdio liva dvb

'win32codecs' is in my /etc/make.conf file

As you move to testing/unstable packages, many media packages have lots
of other dependancies which are constantly changing, in my experience
on gentoo.

hth,

James