On Friday 14 April 2006 02:06, Rohit Sharma wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Please see the following. Both /usr/bin/ln and /usr/bin/mc on my system
> seem to launch mc.
> if I delete one, the other disappears as well.
> if I emerge mc, /usr/bin/ln also appears.
> Even if /usr/bin/ln is deleted, which ln returns /usr/bin/ln
>
> What is happening. I am completely baffled.

Sounds weird..

# cd /usr/bin/
# which ln
/usr/bin/ln
# mv ln ..
# which ln
/bin/ln
# mv ../ln .
# which ln
/usr/bin/ln

If you run

# echo $PATH

you will see that /usr/bin is listed before /bin. which searches the
directories in $PATH and stops at the first match so since /usr/bin comes
before /bin it returns /usr/bin/ln.

If you delete /usr/bin/ln it should return /bin/ln which should be unaffected.
If you delete /bin/ln then /usr/bin/ln will become a dangling symbolic link
pointing at a file which doesn't exist..

Which version of coreutils do you have?

 # equery b ln
[ Searching for file(s) ln in *... ]
[...]
sys-apps/coreutils-5.94-r1 (/bin/ln)
sys-apps/coreutils-5.94-r1 (/usr/bin/ln -> /bin/ln)

If you are still having problems with this then show us the commands that you
are running and the output that leads you to your conclusions..

HtH

--
Bo Andresen