quoth the Richard Fish:
> On 4/14/06, darren kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Is it possible that you are running something that needs net and that
> > > is starting it?  I know some things, like ivman and such, will start
> > > other services if they must be running for them to work.
> >
> > I don't think so...
> >
> > The only network related script in the default runlevel is 'net.lo'.
> > syslog-ng doesn't need network does it?
>
> Yes, it does.

Really? Following Renat's advice I checked all my initscripts called from
'boot' or 'default'. Not a single one relies on net working. syslog-ng has a
case statement that checks if you have tcp/udp logging in your syslog-ng.conf
but this does not apply to my laptop (the machine in question).

> 1. Check your setting and the comments for RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING in
> /etc/conf.d/rc.  This should probably be set to 'lo' for your system.

Ok, it was 'no'. I changed to 'lo'. Rebooted and now only eth0 starts?!

> 2. Hotplug can also activate network interfaces.  See
> /etc/hotplug/net.agent.  I'm not sure how this affects cardbus
> adapters however...

Ok, I added 8139too to /etc/hotplug/blacklist, rebooted and it seems to be
behaving now.

> 3. For eth0, merge the ifplugd package and the interface will not be
> activated until a cable is plugged in.  However you might need a 1.12
> baselayout for this functionality...

A welcome suggestion, but not really what I am after. I just don't want the
interface starting automatically at boot.

> -Richard

Thanks for the help everyone! Resolved for now...
-d