On Saturday 15 April 2006 09:11 am, Tristan Mills wrote:
> Lord Sauron wrote:
> > Hi, once again...
> >
> > I'm taking a Computer Science class in school, and they use Java for
> > this class.  I decided to try using Eclipse, a popular Java IDE,
> > however, Eclipse appears to be masked (see # emerge --search eclipse
> > output below).  I don't know what to do.  Does anyone have any
> > suggestions?
>
> A bit late perhaps, but I (and several colleagues) use Eclipse on Gentoo
> every day at work.
> We have all found the best solution is to download from the website and
> unpack it. The version in portage is very old (the 3.2 milestones are
> stable enough for everyday use) and its easier to manage and install
> plugins.

Yeah, it is really stale.  A year ago I was using JCreator with JDK v1.5

I agree totally though: Eclipse looks better than awt or swing (though you can
change their look using...  I think it was UIStyle or something like that...)

> Eclipse is great once you've used it a little (even with our bizarre
> homebrew build systems at work) and its windowing toolkit looks far
> better than AWT or Swing.

All my computers are built by hand by me, so of course they're a interesting
mix of ancient tech and the stuff that I can afford ; )  It's fun.