David Corbin wrote:

>When  I boot my latpop, ntpdate doesn't work.  It fails saying there is a
>"temporary failure in name resolution" it cannot lookup pool.ntp.org .
>After my system finishes booting, "/etc/init.d/ntp-client start" works fine.
>The script is running nearly last from the output, and after a few other
>'network related' scripts (exim, mysql, lisa), so I don't *think* it's
>'running too early'.
>
>When I look through the init.d scripts, there are a handful that 'use dns',
>but no one seems to provide it.  I'm not sure this is the cause, but I'd like
>to understand why no one provides it. More important though is fixing it so
>ntpdate works on boot.

Hi,

I have the same problem here. Temporarily what I did was after the
machine has booted up, I run the ntp-client script by hand as root.
Nothing elegant there.

However, evidently, the script _is_ running to early, definitely earlier
than your network setup.  Once resolv.conf is set up properly and the
nameservers in there are reachable, your error would go away.

I am on home ADSL and I realise that although my resolv.conf is static
[since their DNS are fixed], I should still run ntp-client _after_ the
link to DNSes is up [via my USB modem]. I am yet to ensure that this
script starts after my network config script start. My netconfig script
is actually hand crafted - since my modem is unsupported  sort of. So I
had put that script last in the startup order. Hence my problem -
something similar may be happening at your end.

"use dns" probably refers to DNS server [running on your local host -
which is not the case with most of us, as we don't run DNSes of our own]

HTH,
Rohit