Richard Fish wrote:

No. both grub and lilo work through the system BIOS.  Neither can
'see' things not provided through the system BIOS.

Are you absolutely sure about lilo?
lilo used bios for disk sector read, but I think is not using
anymore (quite a long time). Thanks to that you can have
/boot (more exactly, kernel) wherever you want.

int13h is called with following registers:
AH:                     02h (read sectors from drive)
CH + 2low bits from CL: cylinder number (0-1023)
rest 6bits from CL:     sector number (1-63)
DH:                     head (1-255)

That's the famous "8-GB limit" (and there are some more, equally
"famous"), where you had to install kernel with old lilo to be
able to boot it. But at least a couple of years there is no such
a limit with lilo. I think I have read somewhere that lilo is
not using bios for disk-access anymore. I'll try to dig it out...

Jarry