I don't understand this error:
Calculating world dependencies
!!! Packages for the following atoms are either all
!!! masked or don't exist:
net-mail/mailman net-mail/dovecot mail-mta/exim
media-sound/beep-media-player net-wireless/hostapd net-firewall/shorewall

/
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "mail-mta/exim" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- mail-mta/exim-4.60-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
- mail-mta/exim-4.54 (masked by: package.mask)
- mail-mta/exim-4.50-r999 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
# Fernando J. Pereda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (25 April 2005)
# mask these until the new mailwrapper/mailer-config scheme is ready
# it is secure to unmask them to test

- mail-mta/exim-4.60 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
!!!    (dependency required by "dev-lang/php-5.0.5-r5" [ebuild])

I don't have that old version of php installed and what does this mean? How
can the latest version be LESS than what I have installed?!

        *  dev-lang/php
              Latest version available: 5.0.5-r5
              Latest version installed: 5.1.1

daevid ~ # emerge -Ca dev-lang/php

        >>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

         dev-lang/php
            selected: 5.1.1
           protected: none
             omitted: none

I do have some packages masked so as not to destabalize my server, but that
doesn't explain the above errors. Plus there may be other packages I'd like
to upgrade, but I can't "see" them until "emerge -Davu world" can get past
that dependency issue above.

daevid ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
        >=mail-mta/exim-4.54
        >=mail-mta/ssmtp-2.00
        >=dev-lang/php-5.1.1

        >=net-mail/mailman-2.1.5-r4
        >=net-mail/dovecot-0.99.14-r1
        >=net-wireless/hostapd-0.4.7-r1
        >=net-firewall/shorewall-2.4.2

And finally, I tried:

        USE="~x86" emerge -Davu world

Shouldn't that just "unmask" everything and at least get past the error?