On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:01, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am attempting to move my /boot partition on a specific machine to
> make way for a Windows XP dual boot. This machine is the only one with
> a graphics adapter that meets the requirements of my son's new game.
>
>    and right now the machine is no longer booting...... Bummer....
>
>    OK, so I used to have
>
> /dev/sda1 /boot
> /dev/sda2 swap
> /dev/sda3 /
>
> and then some higher partitions, and a bunch of unused disk space. To
> get ready to add Windows I created two new partitions:
>
> /dev/sda9 /boot
> /dev/sda10 swap
>
> First I added the new swap to fstab, rebooted and made sure it was
> picked up correctly. I then copied everything in the old boot
> /dev/sda1 to the new boot /dev/sda9 and modified the grub.conf file on
> the new boot partition to ensure it was getting called with new names
> for the boot options after I rebooted. I also attempted to change the
> boot options themselves to point at the new boot partition. The old
> grub.conf and new grub.conf file examples are shown:
>
> OLD:
> title  2.6.16-gentoo-r2
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda3
>
> NEW:
>
> title  New Layot 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
> root (hd0,8)
> kernel (hd0,8)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda3
>
> When this was complete I ran grub using the commands
>
> grub
> root (hd0,8)
> setup (hd0)
> quit
>
> My understand of the above is that the root (hd0,8) says place the
> second part of grub on /dev/sda9 (drive 0, partition 8) while the
> second says place the first part of grub in the MRB.
>
> I then rebooted:
>
> 1) There is a long delay. I then get a message about the kernel file
> not being found. Grub drops me into the grub choice screen which is
> messed up text.
>
> 2) I do see the 'New Layout' names so it does seem to be finding
> /dev/sda9 with the new text
>
> 3) None of the options work.
>
>    I've now rebooted using the Gentoo 2006.0 install CD. The kernels
> are on /dev/sda9 so it seems grub should be able to find them but it
> isn't.
>
>    Can anyone suggest what I'm missing here?
>
> thanks,
> Mark
at the grub menu, can you get to the grub command line and do
"find /boot/grub/grub.conf"?  what drives/partitions does it show that being
on?

if you set this up right, it should find it on both.  also, remember in fdisk
to set the /dev/sda9 partion's boot flag.
--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department