On 4/30/06, Farhan Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jeff Rollin wrote:
> I didn't say DG_DISABLE_DEBUG was a USE flag, I said it was a CFLAG. And it
> improves the speed of KDE applications too

Read your earlier post.. Anyway where is this CFLAGS 'DG_DISABLE_DEBUG'
documented? I cant find any reference to it in man gcc. No usable
results came up when i googled it..

I did some more digging on this.  Actually it looks like
-DG_DISABLE_DEBUG won't have any effect on glib/gtk/gnome
applications.  There is no such thing in /usr/include, or in the
current sources for glib or gtk.

There *is* G_ENABLE_DEBUG, which is only turned on if you merge glib
or gtk with USE=debug, which configures glib/gtk with "./configure ...
--enable-debug=yes ...".  The default glib/gtk debug configuration is
minimum.

Glibc and gtk also support configuring with --enable-debug=no, which
adds -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT, -DG_DISABLE_CHECKS, and/or
-DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS to CFLAGS when they are built.  However, there
is no USE flag currently available to set --enable-debug=no.  (If you
desire this, file a bug report on bugzilla for the feature
enhancement).

It is possible you could get the effect of --enable-debug=no by adding
-UG_DISABLE_ASSERT, -UG_DISABLE_CHECKS, and -UG_DISABLE_CAST to
CFLAGS, but it depends upon whether the package build takes
user-defined CFLAGS into account before or after ./configure defined
flags.  If ./configure is added after the user flags, they will have
no effect.  I have not investigated this at all...

Jeff, whoever told you that -DG_DISABLE_DEBUG did something was lying.
Current gtk and glibc sources know nothing about this flag.

-Richard