On 5/4/06, John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday 04 May 2006 17:18, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On 5/4/06, John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 May 2006 13:57, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > In the last few days, connection takes a minute or so to my gentoo box.
> > > It used to be no longer than a namespace lookup.  It's not TCP, I
> > > think, because connecting to apache is fast and my web pages bet served
> > > as usual.
> > >
> > > What happened to sshd???
> >
> > is UseDNS set to yes?  maybe that value changed, or for whatever reason
> > your
> > looksup are no longer working.  sounds like a dns timeout.
> > --
>
> Hmmm.  I'll look, but I did just change domain registrars.  Maybe I've got
> a sluggish
> nameserver.  But then, why would it continue to be slow when I do it a
> second time --
> doesn't anybody cache resolutions any more?
>
> Anyway, this gives me some stuff to look at.
sometimes my isp gives me a bad or stale dns server on dhcp....not often, but
sometimes...go in and restart networking, and it fixes.

--
UseDNS is on for ssh, not for ssh2 (where it does not even appear)

I found that one of the nameservers for my domain was down, and it was listed early.
I've edited the zone file; I'll see what happens when the change propagates to the
universe.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD