On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 10:56 -0700, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> I have a similar problem to Matthias. /etc/init.d/net.eth0 no longer
> returns, so spamd, sendmail, saslauthd, etc. never start up. It used to
> work...  In my case, the interface is up, but `/etc/init.d/net.eth0
> status' says "starting". If I try to start, say, sendmail, it says
>
>     WARNING:  sendmail is scheduled to start when net.eth0 has started.
>
> and it never starts. Something has changed in the last couple of weeks,
> and I don't know what it is. I'm using hotplug.

Of course I meant "ifplugd".

Anyway, I figured out what my problem was. I was starting eth0 twice,
once through an rc script, and once with ifplugd. When I zapped the rc
script (rc-update del net.eth0), things started work better.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic
Palo Alto, CA 94306
+1 650 678 8014