On Friday, May 5 2006 22:14, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I have a new sony lappy with a ipw2200 chipset mini wireless card.
> Should I be using the in kernel (2.6.16-r3) drivers or the builds in
> portage?  Is the a configuration guide for this setup on gentoo?
>
> BillK
>
> --
> William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Home!

I recommend the in-kernel drivers, simply because they are much more
convenient and easier to get working. Just configure it like any other
wireless device, there is a section in the handbook on wireless networking
iirc. Otherwise there is plenty of information in /etc/conf.d/net.example
and /etc/conf.d/wireless.example. Also, you'll need to emerge
ipw2200-firmware regardless of whether you use the in-kernel or external
driver, firmware-2.4 is needed for the in-kernel driver and firmware-3.0 is
needed for the external driver, they are slotted so both firmwares can
coexist nicely.

--
Raymond Lewis Rebbeck