Thierry de Coulon wrote:
Hello,

I've got an usb multi-card reader. The device does work, however since I run Gentoo it behaves a little different than before. Previously the reader would be indentified on boot (usually reserving /dev/sda to /dev/sdd). I set up those drives in /etc/fstab and created devices on the desktop to mount them as user.

Since using Gentoo the reader apparently is not seen on boot (if no card is plugged in). When I plug a card in and try to mount it I get an error message (no such device). However, if I open a shell, fdisk the device, quit fdisk and close the shell, I can mount the card...

So my guess is that I am missing a small something in my setup but I can't find what.

Note that this is annoying, not much more :)

Thierry

Plug the card in and try to mount it and get the error then run:

lsmod | sort > /tmp/before

Then do the fdisk thing that gets it to work and run:

lsmod | sort > /tmp/after

Now you can use vimdiff (or another diff)

vimdiff /tmp/before /tmp/after

This will show you if any module gets loaded that makes it work. If you find a module in after but not in before, add it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Jim