On 08/05/06, b.n. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My /etc/fstab says:
/dev/sdb1   /mnt/removable  vfat  noauto,async,user,exec 0  0
and I can mount it as a user just by clicking on its icon on Konqueror,
for example.

I think what you really need, however, is not automount but maybe HAL.
Check in the wiki and/or docs for info, and don't run away in fear if
you see some page of instruction... after all, you're using Gentoo! :)

Search this mailing list over the last week or so.  At least three
different threads asked exactly the same Q re: mounting USB CFs.

Consider HAL, ivman if you want automounting of CFs and eventually
decide to bother setting it up (it's not that difficult).

Another thread over the last two weeks or so, explained what entries
you need in your xorg.conf to manage your screen.  (Hint: check man
xorg.conf for Option "SuspendTime", or  DPMS "off ", etc.  Also,
consider setting up your /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf if you want to
do the same thing manually.

Sorry, I can't help with the VPN set up.  I recall reading about it in
Gentoo Wiki if I'm not wrong.

An equivalent to hyperterm is minicom.  If you want an alternative to
a telnet client (and you would rather use something more secure than
telnet) then try ssh.

HTH.
--
Regards,