On Tuesday 09 May 2006 20:33, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> I am writing a comparative review of a number of X terminals, so I
> thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom of this list. which are your
> most/least favourite X terminals, and why?

I use yakuake. It's the the best drop-down terminal I've ever used, and I
believe I tried almost all of them (there really aren't many). Off the top of
my head, I recall yeahconsole and kuake. There's also tilda, but I never
tried it.

yeahconsole is good if you want as few dependencies as possible. It's
basically xterm wrapped in a hidable window, although it seems to be missing
some functionality (e.g. unicode support, at least back when I used it).
Also, you need to use screen if you want to make it really useful, which
isn't bad, of course,  but lack of tabs is lack of features nonetheless :) .
Also, I had to hack source in order to change some configuration, can't
remember what.

kuake is rather out-of-date and has been superseded by yakuake. While both are
"wrappers" for KDE's konsole, the latter is noticeably faster and has more
features. Most important, it has tabs and is also more configurable regarding
focus policy (whether it retracts when it loses focus). The only thing it
currently lacks and would really be useful is emacs-like tiling. It would
basically make it a retractable set of terminals. It would make copy&paste
easier. But tab switching is actually quick enough to compensate for this
lacking.