Farhan Ahmed wrote:
Alexander Skwar wrote:
Jeremy Olexa wrote:

>xterm and screen. Who needs tabs when you have screen?

Me. What have tabs and screen to do with each other? It makes
a lot of sense to use both. The use of one doesn't contradict
the use of the other. In no way whatsoever.

Can you tell me, why you would want to use both tab and screen?

To seperate different screen sessions. I've often got
multiple screen sessions running on multiple servers.
And often I don't want to mix that.

Different example: On tab 1, I'm logged on to screen
on server 1 and show session 1. On tab 2, I'm logged
on to the same session and show session 2. Now it's
very easy to switch back and forth between those sessions -
even easier than ^A^A.

A different example, which has nothing to do with tabs,
but with running multiple terminals with one or multiple
screens: To *see* two sessions at once.

Screen also becomes somewhat "harder" to use, when you've
got more than 10 sessions in a screen, as you then cannot *as*
easily switch - or is there a way to easily switch to session
17? For 0 to 9, it's just ^A0 to ^A9 (or whatever the escape
character is set to). Granted - with gnome-terminal, it also
becomes "clumsy" to switch to sessions > 10.

And no, even if it might be possible to change the size of the
screen so that two (or more) sessions can be shown

They
both serve the same purpose.

No, they don't. How does screen serve the purpose of seperating
sessions? Easy (contrived) example: On Console 1 I'm logged on
to server 1 and have my screen with some sessions. And on Console
2, I'm logged on to workstation 2 with some sessions. How do
you do that with just one screen?

Screen is much better to handle than the
tabs.

No, it isn't. But it's also not worse. It just doesn't
have anything to do with each other, as they serve different
purposes. And because of that, the best answer is: They
are different. Different things for different purposes are
different to handle.

Alexander Skwar
--
Chicago Transit Authority Rider's Rule #36:
        Never ever ask the tough looking gentleman wearing El Rukn headgear