On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 08:35:04PM -0400, Penguin Lover Walter Dnes squawked:
>   - alsamixer CD unmuted and volume set to 77
>   - I am a member of audio and cdrom groups
>   - the "cdplay" program sees the number of tracks and and their
>     lengths on the cdrom.  "cdplay -c -v" goes through the motions of
>     playing the cdrom.  The cdrom spins, and cdplay lists each track as
>     it's played... but there is no sound.
>   - /dev/cdrom is correctly symlinked to /dev/hda
>   - I've tried both the xmms-cdaudio and xmms-cdread plugins.
>     xmms-cdaudio has a "Check CD drive" option.  When I click it, the
>     cdrom spins, and I get a list of tracks which matches the output I
>     get from "cdplay --listtracks".

This might be an overkill, but have you tried mplayer? If you already
have it installed, I think mplayer cdda://{tracknumber} would work,
and if I remember correctly, mplayer would read the digital audio,
rather than use the DAC in the CDROM.

1 out of every 5 people thinks the other 4 are idiots.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 178 days, 17:58