On Tuesday 09 May 2006 11:33 am, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> I am writing a comparative review of a number of X terminals, so I
> thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom of this list. which are your
> most/least favourite X terminals, and why?

I love YaKuake.  It's better than Kuake in that it's just Konsole on a
miniblinds widget.  It's superior because of its ultra-accessibility.
Anywhere you can just hit your key combination and *pop* there's trusty old
YaKuake.  It supports multiple console tabs, which is almost a total
necessity in my point of view.

Second in my list is Konsole, chiefly because of it's customizability.  I can
tinker with the visual settings until I'm happy.

Next is XTerm, and I've only used that out of necessity.  It's really bland,
but it gets the job done.

I understand YaKuake works in Gnome, but it is a native KDE app.  If you don't
think YaKuake is worth your time, perhaps giving it a try will change your
mind.  It's far easier than finding a bare patch of desktop in Red Hat, right
clicking, and the selecting new XTerm window, and it's much easier than
KMenu->Terminal Sessions->Linux Console.

My favorite keyboard combination for YaKuake (I think the default ones were
made by Gnome developers) is alt+`.  This is a deviation from the Quake-style
in-game console (for which Kuake is named, which YaKuake is a descendent of)
which is activated by hitting `.  This isn't feasible in a desktop
enviornment since that key will be needed by other applications and things,
however, I find that by combining it with the alt key it tends to work out
really quite nicely.  I'm still waiting for it to become avaliable in Gentoo,
though now that I've figured out about package masking I'm reconsidering my
decision to wait...

> Let's hope this generates some interesting comment before degenerating
> into a subset of the typical KDE/GNOME flamefest ;-/

I will throw myself onto any grenades thrown in a possible flamewar.