On Friday 12 May 2006 08:03, "Mark Shields" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo ADSL wireless router (3 questions)':
> On 5/12/06, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 May 2006 22:18, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> > about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo ADSL wireless router (3 questions)':
> > > Weird.
> >
> > Yeah, especially since the /same/ type of blackbox (no auth, just
> > cable<->ethernet translation) for cable service is called a "cable
> > modem", at least in my circles. *boggle*  </snip>
>
> DSL and cable modems are different.  DSL uses PPPoE.  A cable modem does
> not.

I know, I've used both services.  In his case he's got a black box that he
just plugs in to his DSL connection (no auth he has to set up) and plugs
his ethernet into that black box.  In my case I've got a black box that I
just plug in to my cable connection (no auth I have to set up) and plug my
ethernet into that black box.

My blackbox is called a modem.  His blackbox is called a router.  That is
WEIRD.  I have digital cable, so my box does not MOdulate/DEModulate a
signal.  His connection is analog (probably) so his box does
MOdulate/DEModulate a signal.

My blackbox is called a modem.  His blackbox is called a router.  THAT. IS.
FSCKING. *WEIRD*.

I used to have a DSL modem (actually, it's probably still around,
somewhere).  It required me to run PPPoE software (to enter
username/password) on the computer hooked directly to it via ethernet.
He's got a DSL "router" that does any PPPoE needed inside the "router" and
just provides an IP address (over ethernet of course) via DHCP.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest