On 5/14/06, Matthias Bethke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'll play with strace some more, looks like the program used some call
that's not traced by default because it's not even trying to read
$DISPLAY; the error seems to be something generic.

Just an FYI, you won't see the environment access with strace.  Strace
works on system calls, and since reading or writing the environment
doesn't involve a call to the kernel, you won't see that there.  You
can see the environment that the program is called with if you add the
-v option to strace however.

BUT, you should see at least an attempt to connect() to something.  I
mean, how can it claim that it cannot connect to an X server without
even trying??? :-)  For example, when running xclock locally, I see
these:

socket(PF_FILE, SOCK_STREAM, 0)         = 3
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 19) = 0

When running over an ssh connection, I have:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
setsockopt(3, SOL_TCP, TCP_NODELAY, [1], 4) = 0
setsockopt(3, SOL_SOCKET, SO_KEEPALIVE, [1], 4) = 0
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6010),
sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = 0

You should see something similar.

HTH,
-Richard