On 5/15/06, maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Kernel panic! That's what happens.

Why?  Is it because it couldn't find your root device?  Did it detect
your hard drives correctly on boot?  Or was it because it found your
root, but failed to mount it?  Or is it something completely unrelated
to mounting root?

The specific panic message is significant here if you expect us to help you.

R. Fish, I didn't respond to your request for dmesg
output because I already had a couple days earlier:

No, you posted the *one line* from your dmesg that indicated that you
were booting from the wrong kernel.  That was even before you made the
claim that you were running the old kernel, but somehow booting from
the new kernel, which was the message that I was replying to.  The
dmesg output would have confirmed or contradicted that claim, and the
single line you posted earlier had nothing to do with verifying the
kernel version you booted from.

FYI, one of the first things the kernel does when it boots is to log
essentially the same information as uname produces.  It does this
before initializing devices, mounting filesystems, or much of anything
else.  It also shows up in /var/log/messages to, and looks something
like this:

Linux version 2.6.16-suspend2-r5 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 3.4.6
(Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)) #25 SMP Sun May 14
03:19:08 MST 2006

The above tells you a lot...that I compiled my kernel at 03:19 on May
14th.  It also tells you that was the 25th time I compiled this kernel
version.  I was obviously up late trying a few things! :-)

So if you do a "dmesg | grep 'Linux version' ; uname -a", and they
somehow report different things, then what you claimed could be true.

Now to be fair I did not actually ask you to post your dmesg output.
I asked how you checked that you were booting the new kernel, and
suggested that checking dmesg output would be the best.  Of course, if
you did not know what to look for there, posting the output would have
been fine.

-Richard