On 16 May 2006 11:11:18 -0500, Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Setup:
Athlon64 running 32bit Gentoo

Running these use flags in make.conf:
[...]
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
USE="samba smb mysql symlinks kde qt dvd alsa cdr
  emacs xinerama mbox apache2 hal logrotate objc
  gcj sasl vmmouse wacom radeon tga vesa vga via
  vmware -ipv6 -imap -maildir  -gnome"

I'm running an update world after about 2 mnths of not updating and
keep hitting a snag when glibc takes its turn out of the 164 updates
left.

The first error was apparently due to missing USE flags and said:

>>> checking glibc-powerpc-cpu-addon-v0.01.tgz ;-)
 * glibc-2.4 is nptl-only!

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1543:   Called dyn_setup
  ebuild.sh, line 660:   Called pkg_setup
  glibc-2.4-r3.ebuild, line 1080:   Called die

!!! please add USE='nptl nptlonly' to make.conf
[...]

1) So what does  powerpc have to do with my architecture anyway?

Taking the hint from error output I added those flags and then ran:

HOST:reader ~
root # USE="nptl nptlonly" emerge -vuD glibc

Above command gets this error

[...]
checking for sed... sed
checking version of sed... 4.1.4, ok
checking for autoconf... autoconf
checking whether autoconf works... yes
configure: error:
*** These critical programs are missing or too old: gcc
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.

My bet would be that the "or too old" bit is the important one - what
version of gcc are you running, and what version does it want to
install if you do an emerge -upv gcc?

HTH-

James