On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 18:29 -0300, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:

> People,
>
>       I'm working on a new portage browser, and I was looking for ideas from
> USERS, that's why I'm
> posting here.
>
>       I've never found a program that would allow me to browse portage
> categories, then packages, showing
> in one window description, version, etc, etc.

Yes!

>       Thus, I'm working on one now, but I want to develop something that will
> run in console and X, too,
> like suse's yast.
>
>       So, I would like to know:
>
>       1) do you prefer a console, a GUI, or both?

GUI primarily, but a console for scripting.

>       2) what additional functionality would you like? (mask/unmask packages,
> install/remove, emerge
> command generator [much like nmapfe], etc)

mask/unmask would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary
install/remove is necessary ;-)
emerge command generator might be useful in a scripting application

>       If you have any idea regarding development (because of the both console
> and X-compatible
> script/program), please let me know. If not, I may end up writing an API, and
> two different programs.

Python can handle both scripting and GUI, and of course portage is
written (mostly? completely?) in python, so I'd suggest ... python
(surprise!). I might consider jython if there is a compelling reason to
use Java.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic
Palo Alto, CA 94306