On 5/18/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There are a lot more "make -f scripts/" lines, and a lot more modules
on the modpost command, than what I included here.

I don't get anything with modpost after this:

 Building modules, stage 2.
make -rR -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rc4/scripts/Makefile.modpost
 scripts/mod/modpost -m -a -o
/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rc4/Module.symvers   vmlinux

What is interesting to me is that your build didn't iterate through
the other obj= lines that I have.

It did, but I aggressively trimmed them. (-:

Hmm, I see you are building an x86_64 kernel...is this being
cross-compiled?  Are the other environments x86_64 architecture as
well?  I guess posting your emerge --info output would be useful
here...

No cross compiling.  This kernel is for the machine that's compiling
it.  I first noticed this when I tried to install
vanilla-sources-2.6.16.1, and I've also tried to compile a vanilla
2.6.14 kernel from kernel.org with the same dissapearing modules
trick, so I think this has something to do with a system utility
having been updated and not working as expected.  I've been trying to
find a clue to what it might be from the kernel's makefiles.

Justin