Jason Ausmus wrote:
Okay, here's another one:

I can't emerge dev-lang/php-5.1.4.  It fails like this:

---------------------------------

checking for mSQL support... no
checking for MSSQL support via FreeTDS... yes
checking for dnet_addr in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for MySQL support... yes
checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket...
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
checking for MySQL UNIX socket location... /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
configure: error: Cannot find MySQL header files under /usr/lib/mysql.
Note that the MySQL client library is not bundled anymore!

!!! ERROR: dev-lang/php-5.1.4 failed.

I see that you're updating from 5.1.1 which was released several month ago, maybe Dec/Jan? Around that time slotted Mysql was active. It is possible that you Mysql libs are installed into /usr/lib/mysql-500 or something similar? Assuming you do I'd update Mysql first to a non slotted build and then try to install PHP again.

BTW if you're messing with Mysql 5.0 there was a default charset change from latin1 to utf8 around that time as well so watch your my.conf file. Bugzilla was very unhappy when its charsets suddenly changed.

kashani