The modes are there but xorgs log shows them as filled out with zeros
(see the bit for Mode 38 below - quite a number of modes are like this).
915resolution reports that the modes I want to use are present) If I
start it up with the ext monitor connected I get a weird display on both
screens - unusable.

Ive done all the standard things and am thinking Ive run up into an xorg
bug with this driver.  It will be a few weeks before I get the time to
fiddle with this again - its at least usable as long as I dont boot it
with an ext monitor plugged in, if non-optimal in the way I am currently
using it.

BillK

Mode: 38 (0x0)
        ModeAttributes: 0x0