On 5/25/06, znx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This _does_ help.  It's mysterious enough that I tested it, and it seems to
> work except that it removes "." from any path.  This is not quite what I want.

Glad it was almost a success ;) Interesting, thats not something I
noticed before, I have never wished "." in my PATH, I should point out
of course that "." in your PATH is a security risk waiting to happen
;)

Open to debate.  I'd think it's not very dangerous at the *end* of the PATH.
The usual worry is a Trojan masquerading as a normal utility, chosen
early because of the order of things in the searchpath.  When I use ".", I
put it at the end.  It's no worse than the fairly common ~/bin in a searchpath,
which I'd actually rate more dangerous --
   1) It's just as hard/easy to put something in ~/bin as in ~/
   2) It's more likely to go unnoticed in ~/bin

And, since I do lots of development of itsy-bitsy scripts and C programs,
I'm using such stuff all the time.

Nevertheless it should not be removing the entry unless its a dup. I
have quickly confirmed the behaviour it is defn stripping all "."
entries.

*sigh* the script needs some work .. I'll play with it again tomorrow....

Thanks for the feedback,
Mark

Thanks...

++ kevin