On 5/25/06, John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On May 25, 2006, at 1:07 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Somewhere along the line, ssh and ssh2 have gotten conflated,
> confused or just
> downright broken.  I have been running ssh daemon(s) for so long I
> don't even
> remember how I set them up.  They Just Ran (TM).
>
> For a short while, ssh connections to here (home) from work have
> taken an
> unusually long time to establish.  I thought it was something to do
> with my
> domain registration, which was changing at the same time, but that
> has settled
> down (I think).  And I've been too busy surviving a car crash and
> attendant
> medical problems to be exactly on top of the situation.
>
> Now I cannot seem to make a connection at all, and I can't make
> much sense
> out of the setup I have.
>
> First, I have both an
> /etc/init.d/sshd
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

hmmm, i imagine you meant there to be more there.  if you have
console access to the box, tail -f on the messages log while
attempting to do an ssh -v -v -v ip_address from another client.
that might tell you something.

Yeh.  Fumblefingers sent it on its way before it was ready.  You got
the gist though, it seems.

Anyway, I tried what you asked (fortunately I have multiple hosts here).
The ssh -v -v -v brokenhost command produces a raft of info.  Below I included
just what's after entering the password, but I doubt it will help.  I need
to get the daemon to be similarly prolix.  This host fails to complete
ssh requests from all comers -- Windows running SSH Secure Shell
or Linux or Solaris running whatever ssh they have, so I need the
info from this gentoo server.

So how do I get that?

Password:
debug1: packet_send2: adding 32 (len 25 padlen 7 extra_pad 64)
debug2: input_userauth_info_req
debug2: input_userauth_info_req: num_prompts 0
debug1: packet_send2: adding 48 (len 10 padlen 6 extra_pad 64)
debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method keyboard-interactive
debug3: clear hostkey 0
debug3: clear hostkey 1
debug3: clear hostkey 2
debug1: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 5 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug3: ssh_session2_open: channel_new: 0
debug1: send channel open 0
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug2: callback start
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: Sending command: scp -v -t .
debug1: channel request 0: exec
debug2: callback done
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD