On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:23 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:02:25 -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:
>
> > > you should try the ~x86 version of portage which has many
> > > improvements: $ echo "sys-apps/portage ~x86"
> >
> > Just a question, but there's got to be a reason why it's still in ~x86.
>
> Yes, it's less than 30 days old. ~arch does not mean unstable, it means
> still-in-testing.

In fact, since portage is on a continuous update-and-improvement move,
it will _always_ have a version in ~x86.  I run completely ~x86, and
even unmask some hard-masked packages (like gnome-2.14 used to be)
manually, and I haven't had any major issues.  The secret is to update
regularly.  If you run ~x86 and update monthly or less frequently, you
run the risk of multiple problems snowballing on you.

Nevertheless, if you have any reason to keep your system stable,
standard disclaimer applies: stay away from ~x86.  Just cause it works
for me, doesn't mean it always will.

cya,

Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.
        -- Stephan Zielinski