On 5/28/06, Kenneth Hopping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Richard Fish wrote:

> What do lspci and lsmod report?

01:08.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
(rev 74)

Ok, when you go to configure your kernel, go under "Device
Drivers->Network device support->Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)".  Select
the option "3COM cards", and then the "3c590/3c900 series..." with an
'M'.

Assuming that you already configured and installed a kernel, so that
/usr/src/linux matches your running kernel, you should be able to just
do "make && make modules_install" to get the new driver.  You can then
try loading it with "modprobe 3c59x".  If you get no errors from that
command, then you should get connected automatically within a few
seconds.  If all goes well, it should work fine even after a reboot.
If you get errors, well you may have some more work to do to configure
and install a new kernel.

This is my first attempt with gentoo and kernel compilation so I'm not
very knowledgable about modules. I just followed the steps in the x86
installation handbook. Except for the network, everything else (cdrom,
floppy) seems to work.

I've been somewhat terse about the steps required, assuming you have
some basic knowledge of how to configure and install a new kernel.
The gentoo handbook can help here, but if you still have questions or
something doesn't make sense, feel free to ask for some more help.

-Richard