On Tuesday 30 May 2006 09:53, Stefán István wrote:

> We have a small network with two 24 port switches. We assign ip
> address to clients by dhcp based on the clients mac address, and have
> a pool of addresses for guest notebooks. My problem is that if someone
> plugs a notebook into the network and gets an ip then I can't find out
> the location of the machine. Is it possible to get the information
> that in which port of the switch is the notebook connected to?

That depends on the capabilities of the switch. For example, many 3Com's
have a http-based management interface that permit monitoring each
single ethernet port; among the various info, you can see the MAC
address(es) of the station(s) connected to the port(s).
Other models have even more sophisticated management functions.