On May 31, 2006, at 7:07 AM, Anthony Roy wrote:

Hi John,

unless you say otherwise, rsync uses ssh.  unless you set it up to
use key authentication, ssh will require a password.

Ah. Makes sense. How do I tell it *not* to use ssh? As I said, I don't
need it to be secure, just simple - the rsync server won't be exposed
outside of the firewall.

I normally hate this answer, but i looked it up and it's more meat than you want to read via email. man rsync has a section on using an rsh program...basically, it's an argument to --rsh=

so read the man page for rsync, it goes into a lot of detail.

Also, you might consider that a crust defense (i.e. relying solely on a firewall) is contrary to current security best practices. I normally favor external-facing firewalls, internal firewalls on each box, and encrypting and securing all transports that can be. but if it's just a home network...maybe not such a big deal. personally, there are too many windows boxes on my home network for that kind of trust. and you can NEVER trust the kids :)