On 5/31/06, Timothy A. Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Neil -

I understand your suggestion -- I used the installer as an attempted
shortcut after having done several (5+) installs via the basic disk and
the handbook.  I have paid for that error in spades - believe me --
since then I have done an additional 5 or so installations by hand from
the basic disk.  I understand the processes there, I was hoping to
rescue the additional time for the snort install etc by being able to
just recompile stuff rather than have to start over from the beginning,
the system is currently running, so I may just end up putting off the
rebuild till this summer when I have a bit more time -- I was hoping to
be able to change the use flags, build a new kernel and be done with it,
but that doesn't look to be the case

Tim...

I concur with Neil's assessment that you should just wipe the box and
start afresh, the main reason being that you should be running
hardened sources and USE="-*" instead of trying to do a basic install.
Security related boxes such as firewalls, routers, and IDS should be a
slim as possible to eliminate potential for security holes and in all
cases they should be running with the hardened profile. Just my $0.02.

-Mike