On Wednesday 31 May 2006 18:29, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:51:47 +0930
>
> Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > ftracer is harmless.
> > > From man gcc:
> > >   -ftracer
> > >            Perform tail duplication to enlarge superblock size.  This
> > > trans- formation simplifies the control flow of the function allowing
> > > other optimizations to do better job.
> >
> > If it was harmless and beneficial it'd already be included in an -O?
> > level.
>
> Probably. And it seems to be only of interest when using
> -fsched2-use-superblocks or -fsched2-use-traces. The man page entry for
> the further (included in the latter) option says: "This option is
> experimental, as not all machine descriptions used by GCC model the CPU
> closely enough to avoid unreliable results from the algorithm."

fsched2-use-traces
           Use -fsched2-use-superblocks algorithm when scheduling after regis-
           ter allocation and additionally perform code duplication in order
           to increase the size of superblocks using tracer pass.  See
           -ftracer for details on trace formation.

         This mode should produce faster but significantly longer programs.
           Also without -fbranch-probabilities the traces constructed may not
           match the reality and hurt the performance.  This only makes sense
           when scheduling after register allocation, i.e. with -fsched-
           ule-insns2 or at -O2 or higher.

where does it say 'experimental'?

And the entry for ftracer is above.