> I normally hate this answer, but i looked it up and it's more meat
> than you want to read via email.  man rsync has a section on
> using an
> rsh program...basically, it's an argument to --rsh=
>
> so read the man page for rsync, it goes into a lot of detail.

Sure.

> Also, you might consider that a crust defense (i.e. relying
> solely on
> a firewall) is contrary to current security best practices.  I
> normally favor external-facing firewalls, internal firewalls on each
> box, and encrypting and securing all transports that can be.  but if
> it's just a home network...maybe not such a big deal.  personally,

It is just a home network. However, I had a HD go bang (my previous
backup server) a while back and my current priority is to get the
backups running again. Then I can think about locking down the security.
The security is fully batoned down for the ports I allow outside the
firewall (ssh and http) the rest will come when I have time...

> there are too many windows boxes on my home network for that kind of
> trust.  and you can NEVER trust the kids :)

That's for sure ;-)

--
Anthony Roy

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This
communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do
not necessarily reflect those of HPI Limited. If you are not the original
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify
[EMAIL PROTECTED] message has been scanned by Anti-Virus. Recipients are
advised to apply their own virus checks to this message on delivery.