Calvin Walton wrote:

> To tell the truth, you can put either kind of use flag in either file.
> The difference is what you want to apply the flag to.
>
> If you want only a single package to have a "global" use flag set
> differently from the rest of the system, you put it in package.use. If
> you see a "local" flag that might later be used by other packages, or
> is used by multiple packages, you might want to put it in make.conf.

This is something I ran into a while back.  For some reason the doc
would not compile for hal.  I wanted the docs for everything else though
so putting -doc in the USE line in make.conf would remove the docs for
everything, not just hal.  I put this in /etc/portage/package.use:
sys-apps/hal    -doc  That way it would not enable the doc part for hal
but would leave it for everything else.  You could reverse that function
if you wanted to.  You could disable doc for everything in make.conf
then make a exception in package.use for hal, if you can get it to
compile with no errors.

Did that help any?  Sometimes actual experience is better than theory.

Dale
:-)  :-)