<whinging>
Revdep-rebuild seems to be the poor stepchild of the portage system.  There's
probably a good reason for it, but it sure is annoying.  Moreover, my past
experiences with it were that it was never entirely happy and I always had
to leave my system in a state I considered unsatisfactory.
</whinging>

This time it's kalarm causing me to try it.  Kalarm apparently had a disagreement
with kdepim about who would be emerged, resulting in 200-some error dialogs
greeting me each morning.  So I unmerged them both and emerged only kalarm,
and thought things were fixed.  But sure enough, this morning there were 215
such crash dialogs complaining about SIGFPE.  I have no clue why the first
one didn't just kill off kalarm, but that's a different issue.  The bright side is that
aside from issuing all these dialogs, kalarm seems to be functioning.  How odd.

Anyway, in pursuit of getting it cleaned up, I tried revdep-rebuild, which can
catch some of those odd dependency thingies.

It reported a bunch of problems with KDE itself.  Mostly with old versions,
so I'd like to unmerge them.  But I'm a bit unsure how to do that.  Do I have to
unmerge the component packages one by one, or is there some way to
name all of the components of KDE 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 with one or three collective
names?

Even if I do this, there remain some current complaints from revdep-rebuild:

  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaddrbk_geo_xxport.so (requires  libkabinterfaces.so.1)
  broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaddrbk_gmx_xxport.so (requires  libkabinterfaces.so.1)
Plus some relating to openoffice-bin (I'm going to see if switching to plain openoffice helps)
and one relating to perl that stumps me because it comes from the imagemagick package
itself, and so presumably should know what version of its own libraries to use:

  broken /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so (requires  libMagick.so.6)

I guess I'll re-emerge imagemagick and see if it helps.

<more complaining>
This whole area seems a lot less automated than most of the portage stuff.
I know gentoo is a DIY type distribution, but this proceedure looks to me like
a magnet for operator error (not to mention confusion) and could use some attention.
</more complaining>

Anyway, I could use some more help diagnosing problems with Kalarm,
and in figuring out how to ditch old slotted packages.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD