Jason A. Booth wrote:

>On Sunday 11 June 2006 00:00, Teresa and Dale wrote:
>

>>"DontVTSwitch"
>>

>not found.. but much love for trying..

It was worth a look I guess.  As to stopping emerge to logout and such,
emerge screen and give it a try.  When you want to run a program, such
as emerge, that will take a while and you may want to leave it running
in the background, you just type in screen -S <name that is short> and
hit enter.  Then type in your command.  If you want to detach or go away
while it is still running, just do a ctrl a then hit d.  Screen takes a
bit of getting used to but it comes in real handy sometimes.  I use it
for long compiles, OOo, KDE or the like.  When you want to reconnect to
check on it, just type in screen -r <name you gave earlier>.  Here is a
example of mine right now:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # screen -list
> There are screens on:
>         10057.emerge    (Detached)
>         30183.FAH1      (Detached)
> 2 Sockets in /var/run/screen/S-root.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

I have two screens running, one for folding, one for a emerge -e system
that I started a bit ago.  If I want to check on the emerge one, I just
type in screen -r emerge and it comes right up.

Hope that helps.  Maybe you can get the other sorted soon.

Oh, check /etc/inittab and make sure these are in there:

> # TERMINALS
> c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
> c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
> c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
> c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
> c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
> c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

That is what gives you those consoles.  They should NOT be commented out
though.  Other than this, I can't think of anything else, unless a key
is out on your keyboard.  ;-)

Dale
:-) :-)