Raymond Lewis Rebbeck wrote:

>On Tuesday, 13 June 2006 2:12, Teresa and Dale wrote:
>

>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I have batched a bunch of servers in my hosts file to block, for ads and
>>all that crap.  I got them from several different places, some I have
>>found too, and am sure there are dups in there, same server but pasted
>>from several sources.  I am not a programer at all and don't even really
>>know what to search for.  I would like to remove the duplicate entries
>>and then put them in alphabetical order if I could.  I would gladly then
>>make this available if someone wanted to host it.  I don't have a place
>>to host it.
>>
>>Oh, there is 15,000 entries in my hosts file.  O_O
>>
>>Could someone tell me how this is done?  May even learn something here.
>>If I can do this, I'm sure I will.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Dale
>>
>>:-)  :-)
>>

>'uniq' and 'sort' should do what you're after, check out the man pages.

Thanks, read the man page, it was short so it didn't take long.  I tried
this:

uniq -u /home/dale/Desktop/hosts /home/dale/Desktop/hostsort

It doesn't look like it did anything but copy the same thing over.
There are only 2 lines missing.  Does spaces count?  Some put in a lot
of spaces between the localhost and the web address.  Maybe that has a
affect??

Thanks for the help.  I had never seen that command before.  I had heard
of sort, never used it though.  I do have those on my desktop.  I'm
playing with copies instead of my real hosts file.

Thanks again.

Dale
:-)  :-)