On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:39:52 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > You use gmail, so as long as you have a desktop (twm is included with
> > xorg) and a browser (firefox?) you can communicate.

> This is good to hear, but it's entirely theoretical from my point of
> view. How
> would I find out about turning off KDE and turning on twm?

If you use /etc/rc.conf to set your desktop (the Gentoo way) then booting
to a console and running startx will give you twm. alternatively, you
could emerge another window manager, such as Fluxbox.

> I'd like to
> practice this before I destroy my system.

I love your optimism :)

> > If you emerge kde-meta, you'll have everything that the monolithic kde
> > ebuild gave you, just in manageable bite-sized chunks.

> Hmph.  You call 300 separate ebuilds manageable?  I suppose it is if
> you meta them in as a chunk.

It's also manageable in that you can manage what gets installed. You have
the choice of using a meta-package to install everything, or picking
only the apps you want installed. Why install kmail and its dependencies
if you use a different mailer?

> So the payoff is in not recompiling them
> all when one changes?  I guess that's reasonable.  Un-humph.

It certainly makes bugfix and security updates a lot faster.

--
Neil Bothwick

Bugs are Sons of Glitches